Monday, October 20, 2008

David Sedaris on undecided voters

Paul and I went to see a David Sedaris reading a couple of weekends ago in Charlotte, and we loved his show. I was tempted to post then but realized quickly that I would have to spoil this new New Yorker article in order to do so. So I will let Sedaris speak for himself now that the essay is available online. Plus, I will post a picture of him with a monkey. I have no idea what or when this photo is from, but it made me smile when I found it after running a Google Image search. (Sorry, Nadine! I know you are creeped out by monkeys.)

3 comments:

Claudia said...

I love this! My favorite quote:

“Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?”

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.

Cat said...

And I love the way he brings it back at the end to talk about the pessimism / cynicism of seeing both options as the same! Sedaris is so brilliant. And there was a certain amount of humorous sadism in this piece that's so satisfying in a tense time.

Unknown said...

Dude, I'm kind of feeling like undecideds are all retarded. And yes, I mean that to be offensive. Augh!

And monkeys are EEEEEVIL.